Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Smell of Rain

All my life I have always loved the smell of rain. I remember saying this to someone once and they gave me a funny look questioning the fact that rain has a smell. This smell has meant so much more than just rain. It has allowed for a cozy day indoors with family, it has prompted a celebratory dance outside with my younger siblings laughing as we all got wet, more recently it has become a signal of hope and good to come. The summer after my junior year of high school I wrote letter after letter to my boyfriend who was going through basic training for the Air Force in Texas. In these letters I always included quotes. One of my favorites to this day has been "When it rains it reminds me of you. Although 2000 miles away is so far I still always walk outside in the rain and kiss it just for you. It never fails me. The rain will always come and I'll always love you. Next time you see a storm on the horizon please don't fear it's just heaven doing me the favor of taking you my kiss. Walk outside and kiss the rain whenever you need me." Ever since rain has brought me immense joy. I walk outside and recall jumping in mud puddles with my brother. I envision standing beside my sister in the dark outside doing bad ballet twirls in the driveway. It reminds me as I look up in the sky and feel the drops of rain on my face that my boyfriend is thinking about me. Most importantly, every time it rains it brings a smile to my face, for I remember all the good things that rain has brought me. For some it may bring disgust and annoyance with inclement driving conditions and wet clothing, but for me it has brought me laughter, joy, hope, and reassurance. It may sound strange, to that person who once questioned the existence of the smell of rain, but if only they knew. Then perhaps they would be able to share the joy the scent brings to my life too.

1 comment:

  1. You ladies have been prolific. I like the blog, Syd, and look forward to learning more about you.

    ReplyDelete