Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dancing in the Kitchen

My entire life music has always played a role in my life. In fact, for the entire eighteen and a half years that I lived in my house on Franklin Court if someone was home it was almost guaranteed there would be music of some form playing. My parents would always blast music over the stereo system they got for their wedding whenever they were cleaning or cooking. I would love to wake up and hear Billy Joel, Sting, Matchbox Twenty or something of the sort singing downstairs. My younger sister usually has music playing over her laptop, if not then she’ll have headphones on listening to her iPod. If this is the case she is not to be disturbed for she’s lost in “iPod land”, a term I started using whenever she was nonrespondent. Music brought our family together. There were many times where we’d all drop what we were doing and start dancing together in the kitchen, or start singing at the top of our lungs, or sing and harmonize with each other. As my siblings and I have grown older we have all started to play instruments and sing in choirs and musical productions. While we do these things as a family too, the times that I look back on the most and smile about are those times when we’ve danced in the kitchen. It’s a silly tradition I hope to carry on with my own family some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment