Monday, January 17, 2011

Hannaford Date

The most memorable dates I’ve ever been on have nothing to do with freshly cut flowers, fancy restaurants, or walks on the beach. In fact there’s nothing even remotely close to that about them. The first two dates I ever went on, I puked. Three or four times  I puked in the bathroom of the restaurant we went to as well as the restroom of the movie theater. I still wonder to this day how the guy I went on those dates with is still in my life after those really bad experiences! I’m glad he is though otherwise we would have never had one of the best afternoons I’ve ever had. We were both broke and all we had between the two of us was a bunch of change and a bag of bottles. We decided that we would drive to the redemption center and get money back and then go to Hannaford and use the Coinstar machine there. While at Hannaford we decided that instead of going out to eat we would buy our food right there and drive somewhere else to eat it. We had fun picking out small helpings of potato salad, chicken, and an ice cream to split between the two of us. When we got to cashier to check out we were pleased to hear that we had redeemed enough to change to not only pay for our meal, but we were actually going to get some extra money back. We walked to car deciding where to go to eat our picnic. On our drive to a playground at the school we had both gone to many years ago we laughed the entire time about our situation. When we arrived at our destination we set out a picnic for ourselves on a flat rock, one that held childhood memories for us both. I to this day still have our receipt from that afternoon, one we affectionately call our “Hannaford Date”. That night I went home smiling thinking about how no matter how unplanned and spontaneous the afternoon was I had one of the best afternoons I could’ve asked for. All because I had spent it with my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment